Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOsteoTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyOsteoTeam Member asked a question 💭
Gloversville, NY

This is where I have shrunk so much, 8 inches, that my lower ribs are now inside my hip/pelvis area. Nothing to be done for it, just suffer. I am feeling so compressed and uncomfortable.

November 12, 2022
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared their experiences with rib-hip syndrome caused by significant height loss from osteoporosis, describing the painful... Read more

Members shared their experiences with rib-hip syndrome caused by significant height loss from osteoporosis, describing the painful compression, distended stomach, and bowel issues that result when ribs descend into the pelvic area. Several members found relief through supportive garments like post-abdominal surgical bands, postpartum girdles, or spinal braces, emphasizing the importance of proper sizing since standard medical braces often don't accommodate height loss. A recurring theme was the validation and comfort of connecting with others who truly understand this rare and isolating complication, with members expressing gratitude for finally finding people who can relate to the physical discomfort and challenges of living in a compressed body.

A MyOsteoTeam Member

Yes, so distended I could almost balance a cup when I am leaning back a little. Sometimes I have to try several times bending to get my innards out of the way, or my ribs feel in the way. Very uncomfortable and not to mention what it does to your bowels.

July 24, 2023
A MyOsteoTeam Member

I’ve lost 5inches so far .I’m a midget 🤣🤣

July 24, 2023
A MyOsteoTeam Member

Me too where I have stoop everything becomes squashed and a distended stomach .Sending love 💝💝

July 24, 2023
A MyOsteoTeam Member

I don't have this, thankfully. But using a support brace just seems like what needs to be done when healing from a spinal fracture(s). I recall years ago when I needed a spinal fusion after a car accident that I wore one. I wasn't allowed out of bed without it. I don't think I had osteoporosis at the time but I'm not sure. I was 34 then and I found out by accident (at a wellness fair) that I had osteoporosis. I was 44 at the time.

I am so sorry for you ladies for what you're going through. It can't be easy. Take good care of yourselves. ❤

February 26, 2023
A MyOsteoTeam Member

I don't know how far along you are in your recovery. I'm fairly well healed. I have found that a good strong girdle, or post abdominal surgical brace helps support me and has improved my pain some. The back braces the Dr. gave were too large! One size fits all does not work well when you have SHRUNK! I use a 9 inch pull on post partum post abdominal band that I pull up. You may not be well enough YET to do that, but hang in there!

December 31, 2022

Related Questions

View All
A MyOsteoTeam Member asked a question 💭
Auckland, NZ