Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyOsteoTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I am trying to use less pressur e on the cane to see it it helps.

July 7
 · 
Reactions
A MyOsteoTeam Member

I have a walker it’s the only way I can get about , without tbi am in constant pain from spinal fractures. But I do find my neck and left shoulder pain. I have a rotary cuff injury in my left shoulder and spondylitis in my neck and spine so it’s hard to say what causes the pain Jean.

July 7
A MyOsteoTeam Member

I initially used a cane and suffered the results as you have. I replaced it with a walker on wheels. Huge positive difference.

July 8
A MyOsteoTeam Member

Hello Jean,
I also use a cane and when I was in physical therapy they noticed that my cane was not adjusted correctly. My pain improved somewhat since they adjusted the height of the cane.

July 21
A MyOsteoTeam Member

Good glad the walker is a improvement Karen.

July 9
MyOsteoTeam

Can using a cane cause shoulder and upper chest pain on the same side?

Yes, this is actually a really common experience! Leaning on a cane puts repeated stress on the shoulder, arm, and chest muscles, which can lead to muscle strain and pain over time.

Here are some tips that may help:

- Check cane height — the handle Show Full Answer

Can using a cane cause shoulder and upper chest pain on the same side?

Yes, this is actually a really common experience! Leaning on a cane puts repeated stress on the shoulder, arm, and chest muscles, which can lead to muscle strain and pain over time.

Here are some tips that may help:

- Check cane height — the handle should reach your wrist when your arm hangs naturally at your side
- Avoid leaning heavily — use the cane for balance guidance rather than full weight support
- Switch sides occasionally — if safe to do so, alternating sides can reduce strain
- Gentle stretching — light shoulder and chest stretches may ease muscle tension

Reducing pressure, as you're already trying, is a great instinct! However, it's worth mentioning this pain to your doctor, especially since osteoporosis can cause muscle spasms and compressed nerves that may also contribute to shoulder and chest discomfort.

A physical therapist can also assess your cane technique and suggest adjustments tailored specifically to you.

July 7

Related Questions

View All
A MyOsteoTeam Member asked a question 💭
Shavertown, PA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In